H3X Frequently Asked Questions
I keep hearing about this event but don't know what it is.
The H3X at its core is a Hurricane Heat, but instead of being a single event on a certain date, its ALL THREE Hurricane Heat lengths rolled into a consecutively run event. Additionally, there will be eight venues to choose from across the globe:
- Singapore Saturday August 10th, 08:00
- UK Saturday August 10th, 01:00
- Boston USA Friday August 9th, 20:00
- Manila Philippines Saturday August 10th, 08:00
- Austria Saturday August 10th, 02:00
- Valcianska Dolina Slovakia Saturday August 10th, 02:00
All above events will start at the exact same time and run simultaneously regardless of time zone. It will have the feel that you’re participating in the same event with thousands of your Spartan Extreme Endurance family members wherever they are.
Why are all of the start times varied?
Due to the fact that this event starts at the same time regardless of time zone, the start times need to be varied to accommodate.
What if I only want to do the HH24HR?
In this case, you only need to register for the HH24HR. The Hurricane Heat and HH12HR participants will be with you until their events conclude and then you will carry on. Good luck!
What if I sign up for the HH12HR or HH24HR but decide only to do the Hurricane Heat?
Once you have committed, you must complete the heat you have registered for – so, please carefully consider the heat you would like to participate in before registering.
Refunds, deferments or 'downgrades' will not be allowed. If you feel that you have special or extenuating circumstances, you may contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org for review.
I've signed up for the HH4HR. Will I be able to continue onwards to the HH12HR or the HH24HR?
Absolutely! You may decide on the spot whether you would like to push on, and you will be charged the additional amount after the event has concluded.
If I complete all three tiers, will I get three lots of medals, tags and shirts?
No. Participants only collect medals and tags for successful completion of the highest tier they go for. For example, if a participant completes the Hurricane Heat and goes on to the HH12HR and completes that, they will receive only the HH12HR items If they continue and do all 24 hours, they will receive only the HH24HR items.
What if I cannot complete the heat I have progressed to, and will I get to keep the medal of the tier below?
Participants must make the decision to continue and complete the next tier, or risk losing everything.
For example, if the participant makes it through the Hurricane Heat and HH12HR, but fails the HH24HR, they will receive nothing. Anyone is welcome to stop at any time after one tier is complete and they will receive that tier's finisher items, but they may not continue.
Think of it like running a marathon. Completing 18 miles and quitting doesn't get you a half marathon. It simply means you came 6.2 miles short of finishing the marathon and so go home empty-handed.
Will doing this event help me complete my Hurricane Heat Trifecta?
Successful completion of any of these events adds ONE wedge to your Hurricane Heat Trifecta. Read more about Spartan Delta/Hurricane Heat Trifecta here.
Will we get a heads-up of what we will be doing during H3X?
No. Absolutely not. Bring your gear list, a good attitude, a body that has done some training and a smile. That's all you need.
Will there be a gear list and gear list video like other Hurricane Heat events?
Count on it! It will be released in the language of the venue you register for.
Will I be able to grab my food after the Hurricane Heat before the HH12HR commences?
Yes, there will be a brief transition time before both the HH12HR and HH24HR commence, where those continuing can prepare their bags/food/etc.
What gear will I need to bring?
You will need ALL of the mandatory items below in order to survive H3X. You will not be allowed to begin unless you have them when the event starts.
- All athletes MUST have a plain black top (this can be a t-shirt, sports bra, tank top, whatever you want, but it must be black);
- 1 Backpack. It must be big and sturdy enough to store all the items listed below;
- Filled bladder with 2 extra litres of water;
- 1 Headlamp (per person). It will get dark;
- Spare Batteries for your headlamp;
- 3 Black Sharpie Markers;
- 2 Chemlights/Glow Sticks;
- Snacks/energy gel/energy bars/electrolyte packets. You may start with a 4-hour Hurricane Heat and decide to go all the way until the 24-hour mark, so bring extra.
- 1 Roll of Duct tape;
- Paracord (50-foot minimum), NOT string or rope;
- Pocket knife/Multi-tool;
- 1 Buff (multifunctional headwear), dark in colour;
- 3 Tennis Balls;
- Individual weight: 35 pounds/15kg for women, 45 pounds/20kg for men (in addition to other gear);
- 2 Pieces of wood with dimensions 2 inches x 4 inches x 10 inches (5cm x 10cm x 25cm);
- 3 Polypropylene empty heavy duty white sandbags, at least 15 inches x 27 inches (38cm x 68cm) in size;
- Government-issued Identification (Driving license, passport, etc) to verify who you are;
- Signed Waiver
Each venue has an event page. Krypteia and participants – new and veterans – will be on that page and offering help if you need it. Whether you have questions about gear, training, etc, they can help you.
But don't I need different gear for different tiers?
Nope – one gear list will take you through the whole event, regardless of how many stages you get through!
If during the event there are team portions, can I pick my own team?
No. The event and Kryptiea have a way of self-selecting the teams. Besides, isn't meeting new people fun?
Can I bring items that are not on the gear list?
No. Anything you bring that is not on the list will be confiscated and returned when you are finished. The gear list is designed to help you, not hinder you. If it's not on there, you don't need it.